I thought I'd do some focused practise, and in order to help me doing so, I thought I'd select an artist to focus on for the rest of May and June month. I've recently seen the works of Brett Bean
after having listened to a livestream
- and I'd really wish for my own character designs and environments to have that fluidity, playfulness and daring shapes. This is what I attempt to practise at the moment.
As you can see on the sketches below, the proces was as follows:
- 4 warm-up sketches, from some of Brett Beans own artwork.
- Hence a caricature - reference photo from this great gallery
- but it didn't felt pushed enough. The hair could have been an even bigger shape and enhanced more.
- Nextly another attempt at the same woman from a different angle - she ended up looking really mean!
- Finally another reference photo and a simple coloring beneath
This was a little about my current attempt at improving my character design. Have a great day!
Oh, and this was a little fun drawing Ser Jorah from Game of Thrones: